9.3.10

How's your love life?

Hi again,

With that intriguing title, I'm hoping to get some readers to this blog... alas, they're currently lacking. No, no secrets will be divulged here. This is actually a short post to wonder at the politics of giving advice on the topic of love...

I've not even been single for 6 months yet, following the end of a long-term relationship. But it seems that for some of my friends, the unofficial no-dating period has come to an end, because in the space of a single week I've been asked multiple probing questions from my married friends about whether I've got my eye on anyone... and also one conversation where I was told to wait until half the length of my last relationship (who comes up with these 'facts'?) had transpired before even contemplating it. (Talk about conflicting messages!)

My position on the issue: I'm taking my time, people! Right now being single is rather convenient - I've got plenty of other stuff on my mind. So girls, patience is a virtue... I'll get around to asking you out eventually. And if not, well, it's your loss, right?! ;-)

Actually, it seems everyone has an opinion on everything dating-related. Especially certain Christians I know, who like to tell other Christians how to do it (and, of course, how to not do it!). Don't date non-Christians, don't date anyone you can't see yourself marrying one day, don't get engaged too soon, don't take too long about it (that gives you, by my count, a 12 month window between 18 and 30 months...how ridiculous!), don't have a long engagement, don't marry too young, don't marry too old, don't divorce and don't re-marry...don't walk more than 30 steps on the sabbath, don't carry anything on the Sabbath unless to your neighbours house...oh wait, wrong laws!

So anyway, I think I've made the point here. I'm going to do this my own way, in my own time, and let things go the way they go, regardless of what people say or think.

So, how's my love life? Fine, just the way it should be: not any of your business! (unless you're single and attractive, and free on thursday night...)


P.S. to those who asked in the last week, I don't mean to offend you. I know you were just trying to pick up some juicy gos... I mean, I know you were just trying to help!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Poet, musician, teacher, thinker...