17.10.10

A poem about poetry

 I really enjoy light-hearted, comical, whimsical poems. But I don't often write them, because they're actually really hard (at least, I think they're hard. Some people find serious poetry hard. That's just the way things are I guess...)

Anyway, at my writers' group yesterday I wrote a light-hearted, comical, whimsical poem. Here it is:


A Couplet is Too Short - Johnny Sharpe

A couplet is too short,
And always comes to nought.

And a conversational free-form prose without structure or even proper grammar is anathema to me.

I think I’ll write with run-
On lines, enjambment, to
Make you think, to keep you
Off-kilter. But I’m not sure
Why.

Perhaps the poems
You like best are haikus. See:
They finish quickly.

To write a simple little rhyme
With care and great precision
Is the poem you would have me write
Should that be my decision?

No.
Nor a couplet or free verse,
Nor enjambment or a haiku.
I’ll write whatever I damn-well like
To make you smile
Or think
Or imagine
Or remember
Or cry or sing or worry
Or stop, and decide to write
Better poems than mine.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I like it. Bonus points for using cool words like "enjambment".

It's a meta-poem.

Blog Archive

About Me

Poet, musician, teacher, thinker...