15.5.10

Another day at the office

Well, it's been another week, so here's my weekly blog.

The island continues to throw a bunch of surprises my way, including the realisation that it's actually possible to get tired when you work really hard 6 days a week! Yeah, I'm feeling pretty tired today.

There's been a few changes in personnel, with a bunch of volunteers and our manager leaving, and a new manager taking over a newly formed team of the old and the new. Yeah, I've been here two weeks and I'm now part of 'the old'! The new guys are really cool, and the team's already coming together.

In other news, my classes are going really well, they still love me (some of them have even been telling their friends in Tessa's advanced class about me, and they came to me the other day to tell me I'm a good teacher. I'm going to have a slightly larger head when I come home!). I've enjoyed getting to know the guys and they've started telling me about where they're from and how they got to Christmas Island. Of course, I can't tell you those details, but it's eye-opening stuff.

The island continues to show its beautiful side as well. Our recent day-off involved an adventure to a place called The Dales, where some creeks run through the jungle. It's such a peaceful, beautiful place. We followed one creek all the way down to the sea, through a short canyon involving one swim-thru, and the view out to sea and the fish swimming right at our feet were beautiful. We thought about jumping in to join them, but decided against it because the current was a bit strong. We also went snorkeling at the cove, and the coral and fish were beautiful, only 100m from the shore. Every day off I'm stunned by this place!

I'll be here for 2 more weeks, and then I'll possibly be heading on to Curtin Detention Centre where a new program is being set up. I feel so privileged to be a part of this, to work with these amazing people bringing some life and joy to people in such need. I'm really having a wonderful time!

Peace to you all.

J

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Poet, musician, teacher, thinker...